Sunday, February 28, 2010

Final Reflection on Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology

Reflecting on my personal learning theory I have come to understand why certain strategies work better than others. Referring back to what Dr. Wolf (2008) stated, that we as teachers know what strategies work but we don’t know why, I think I have a better understanding of why they do work. I also feel that technology plays a very important part in the education of our students and during this course I integrated more technology into my theory of learning, in my classroom and applied some of the strategies discussed.

Since begin this course I have integrated technology in my classroom first by utilizing Powerpoint presentations as an instructional tool. The school I teach at recently purchased twenty Netbooks for teachers to use, I will be using them as a learning and instructional tool with my students twice a week for the remainder of the school year. I have also been spending a considerable amount of time searching out math web-sites and have integrated there use in to my instructional strategies. I have also introduced my students to concept mapping as a means of summarizing topics and concepts to reinforce what they have learned and as a way to assess their understanding.

As Dr. Orey (2008) stated there are to ways technology tools can be used; as an instructional tool and a learning tool. I would like to be able to use a Smartboard, Elmo, web based concept mapping, and Voice Threads. The Smartboard can be used as both an instructional tool and learning tool. The Elmo is used primarily as a teaching tool but it is also possible for the students to use it by sharing their knowledge with their fellow students. Web based concept mapping is another tool I have used as a strategy by having my students construct concept maps as way to summarize new concepts and topics they have just been introduced to. Developing project that allow the students to use various concepts the use of a Smartboard are endless, it can be used as both an instructional tool and learning tool.

Long-term goal changes I would like to make to my instructional practice regarding technology integration and outline a strategy for achieving them. One long term goal I have is to shift my instructional practice from a behaviorist and cognitive learning approach to more of a constructionist approach to learning. The second long-term goal is to improve my skills a utilizing the nine clusters of strategies as described by Dr. Pickering (2008). My strategy for accomplishing these goals is to complete the Masters of Science in Integrating Technology in the Classroom program, utilize the skills I have acquired and continues with my own personal research in learning theories and technology teaching strategies.


Laureate Education, Inc. (2007) Programs 10,11,. Instructional Strategies, Part One. Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology

No comments:

Post a Comment